CT(sw) landing after 18 years, what have I learned?

The last 3 years I have been in Florence Oregon where it is never calm and wind shear everywhere.  Here I learned to avoid 40 degrees when its gusty at all because the gusts baloon me.

The long standing of fly it on vs full stall landings has not changed.  Full stall has the advantage of rolling out at less than flying speed and little chance of getting gusted sideways off the runway on roll out, like a take off in a crosswind when you rotate too early.

Slippery yet lightly wing loaded means hands are sometimes busy reacting to every little gust but the plane will penetrate so it is capable.

For paved runways when using 30/40 I like to round out low and near the top of the white arc to extend the time where I am bleeding off speed to get a few more greasers.

30/40 and full rudder slips allow you to easlily get into the tightest fields. 

Florence (1 of 1).jpg

Something I have recently been playing with, is to come in slow for whatever flaps setting you're using (I like 48kt with 30°), and then in the last 30ft or so add a touch of power.  You're behind the power curve so it doesn't do much other than slow your descent in the last few feet and let you hold off for the greaser a moment longer.  We're not talking much power here, just a couple hundred RPM.  This also works if conditions are a little gusty with 15° flaps to keep the approach and touchdown a little more consistent.

If you do this when fast or if you add too much power you *will* balloon.  I'd recommend getting your power-off landings down before playing with this.

Back in 2006 the guy the delivered my CT and checked me out was a check pilot for Singapore Airlines and he had a Yak and a CT.  He told me the CT landing is like a golf swing in that it's components all happen so close together it becomes a single thing (descent/roundout/flare/touchdown).   Maintaining energy state through roundout allows for the more precise flare into a greaser.  

When I use throttle I feel like I am cheating and failing to practice for deadsticks.  My favorite approach is to visualize my hangar door over the end of the runway and to fly through it.  That seems a more reasonable mindset than simply playing chicken with the ground.

On 5/25/2024 at 12:27 PM, Eddie Cesnalis said:

Back in 2006 the guy the delivered my CT and checked me out was a check pilot for Singapore Airlines and he had a Yak and a CT.  He told me the CT landing is like a golf swing in that it's components all happen so close together it becomes a single thing (descent/roundout/flare/touchdown).   Maintaining energy state through roundout allows for the more precise flare into a greaser.  

When I use throttle I feel like I am cheating and failing to practice for deadsticks.  My favorite approach is to visualize my hangar door over the end of the runway and to fly through it.  That seems a more reasonable mindset than simply playing chicken with the ground.

I agree, there is a lot going on in a short period when landing a CT.  I usually only use the add power trick if I'm slow or the sink rate is high in the last 50ft.  I'll add a touch of power, and then usually just leave it in and ease it out as the wheels touch down.  It's a good way to keep the last part of the approach stable and ensure a greaser.  but 95% of my landings are power off just like you.

12 minutes ago, sandpiper said:

X 2 for both of you. 800 hours on the bird now and over 3000

I have more hours but 1/3 the landings.  I agree in the end she's the boss.  I'm glad she prefer's her nose out front.

I had breakfast at the Starduster last week and found landing there a pleasant suprise. I haven't seen such calm in quite a while.

1 hour ago, sandpiper said:

Let me know next time you come here. My house is the one closest to the Starduster.

and let me know when you're planning this and I'll drop in. Was last there two weeks ago.

Screenshot 2024-06-02 at 1.42.39 PM.png