Converting to E-LSA and enrolling in 2 Day Course

Iv started the E-LSA process and in contact with a DAR-T close to home.  I would like to annual my own aircraft and wanted to start with the 2 day course first.

I would like to enroll in the 2 week course but with life/wife and baby at home its hard to leave for a long time.  With the weekend course only can I still not legally "repair" anything I find wrong during the annual inspection process?  For example replacing leaking radiator hoses,  replacing bad/leaking fuel shut off ball valves are not allowed without the 2 week course?

A big ticket item I wanted to install myself and save on labor after going e-lsa would be a new panel with Dynon skyview.  I'm not looking at work for hire for work, I just want to be able to fix the easy things on my own aircraft and leave the major work to my A/P that I trust.

There is no certification required to do maintenance on an experimental registered airplane (including E-LSA).  Once the airplane has an experimental registration, anyone can perform maintenance.  You do need a LSR-I certificate to sign off on your own E-LSA annual condition inspections.  

From the EAA website:  "Title 14 CFR 91.319. Anyone can do maintenance on an E-LSA, but only the holder of a repairman certificate (or an A&P) can sign off the condition inspection. The owner can take a two-day class to obtain the certificate for that specific aircraft from the FAA. Title 14 CFR 91.327."

https://inspire.eaa.org/2019/05/16/be-your-own-mechanic-the-secondhand-homebuilt-aircraft-owners-guide-to-maintenance/#:~:text=Title 14 CFR 91.319.,specific aircraft from the FAA.&text=Title 14 CFR 91.327.

It does seem hard to believe at first, but if I have stated this in error, others will offer opinions shortly.

Thanks Fred,

IT does seem hard to believe.  I called Rainbow and said they plan on holding another session this November in PA.  If anyone else is interested it should be posted by July with the schedule.

Fred's right, anybody can do any maintenance task on an experimental, except a condition inspection.  With the weekend course (LSRI) you can do the condition inspection on an E-LSA that you personally own.  The two week course (LSRM) lets you do work for money on other people's airplanes.

I only have the weekend course (LSRI) and have done just about everything on my E-LSA that can be done short of cracking into the engine.  I've pulled and reinstalled the stabilator, replaced the wheels and brakes, rebuilt carbs, done the 5 year hose/rubber change (twice!), added and removed avionics, removed and replaced the BRS chute and rocket, and many other tasks.  I have found the trick is to look carefully in the Maintenance Manual, and if you have any doubt how to do something, ask on this forum for detailed information -- there is a wealth of experience here.  If you're really not comfortable with something, pay somebody with experience to do it.

Thanks for clearing that up fellas.  I will definitely follow up with the course and get with my local DAR-T this month. Already have my forms/CD ordered from the FAA.

I am comfortable with most of the work called out in the maintenance manual, and the stuff I am not I will take to my A/P

I have been pondering a Dynon Skyview setup and always frightened by my shops labor cost to install. Glad to know I can do this myself as E-LSA.  Im comfortable with wiring and electronics, should be a fun project this winter :)

I installed a full Skyview system (dual screens, ADSB in-out, com radio, autopilot, etc) in a homebuilt a few years ago.  I took my time, checked each wire and pin once assembled, and paid close attention to manual and it worked out just fine.  

16 hours ago, Jim Meade said:

I did similar to FredG on my CTSW.  You'll want a few special tools, but as FredG said it's straightforward with careful study and preparation.

How and where did you mount your AHARS module so it was plumb for straight and level flight?  That appears to be the most sensitive module for location.   Not to many obvious places in my CTSW that would not require a customized bracket

I’m halfway through my first “condition inspection” and I’m enjoying it. I had really bad luck with mechanics trying to keep the plane SLSA, so I took the 2day Rainbow class, got with aDAR and went experimental. 
I’ll be posting questions I’m sure as I work my way through the inspection check list. But so far so good.