New Rotax Oil Filter

rookie

I'm do for another oil change and I have a couple of the new filters but have held off using them until I hear reports from those who have (not keen on being a test pilot). Anyone know of any problems?

Since you can't prefill ( unless you want to freeze for 2 hrs.) you need to turn the engine over. How may revs? Seems like I heard 20 but I'm not sure and don't want to screw ip up.

al meyer

Twenty revolutions. On a cold engine you can also motor the starter briefly without the choke. It usually won't start unless it's pretty warm outside and it only takes seconds to register good oil pressure. The motoring part is probably not necessary but that's just me.

Hi Al,

You don't have any choice. You will have to use the new Rotax filter sooner or later. Take the plunge.

These filters were tested by Rotax before release to the market.

p.s.

If you fall out of the sky because the engine froze due to no oil. Give me a call so I can change filters. laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Thanks Rog,

I'll send you my Spot link so you'll know where to look!

al,

Hi Al,

You don't have any choice. You will have to use the new Rotax filter sooner or later. Take the plunge.

p.s.

If you fall out of the sky because the engine froze due to no oil. Give me a call so I can change filters. laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

• 2 months later...

Hi Al,

p.s.

Hey Roger did you ever post the pics of the opened oil filter?

I've been using them the last few changes and so far no problems. I would say I have a 150hrs on them now.

It's good arm exercise rotating the prop 20-30 times!

Eric,

Is that 20-30 Revolutions of multiple blades or just 20-30 blades? And do the temps in your area get down enough to need to preheat?

Thanks,

Doug in IL

Archived