Odyssey Battery Brought Back from the Dead?

Runtoeat

A while ago, I recall reading that an apparently dead Odyssey battery might not be dead, it may just not have had the right charging treatment and eventually lost it's charge. About a year ago, I taxied out to take off and my battery went dead during runnup. Trying to restart my plane it was evident that the battery was dead. I pushed my plane back to the hangar, ordered a new battery and installed this. At this time, I also purchased a CTEK battery charger which was recommended to use for the Odyssey battery. Up to this time I had been using a standard automotive charger for my plane. I put the "dead" battery on the shelf last fall and it rested there all of last winter. This week, I recalled reading that the Odyssey will die if not charged properly. I took my "dead" Odyssey off the shelf and put in on charge with the CTEK charger. I noted that the battery had a voltage of 10.2 v. and that the CTEK charger was "pulsing" the battery. I left the battery on charge for two days and when I came back to it, the charger showed a steady "green" and had stopped pulsing. Checking the voltage, the battery shows 13.5 v. I will see if the battery will provide an amperage load for starting as the acid test but it appears that it has been rejuvinated. I will report back. If anyone is using a standard battery charger for their Odyssey or Hawker battery, you must go to a charger that is specifically made to charge and maintain AGM batteries and provides the proper charging to match the unique requirements which the AGM Odyssey or Hawker has.

• 8 months later...

Has anyone else noticed that the Odyssey is not holding its charge as well as it's said to do in the manual? There are two documents on their website, a service application and owner manual. Both specify the battery will run down by about 5% every 9-10 weeks when stored at 25degC. However I had to return two of them because of rapid fall off in terminal voltage. Now the third one dropped by 0.25V to 12.2V in 8 weeks; this is about 25% of capacity from a read of Fig. 3 in those publications. Could I have three duds in a row? The first was 2 years old when delivered new, the last one is a couple of months out of the factory.

Archived