Acknowledgement

Runtoeat

Hi Roger. Just some feedback to your Maintenance advice postings here. I read all of these and I'm sure that others are doing this too. Your advice is really appreciated. My experience with getting repairs done is to go to a shop, leave my car (and now my airplane) and hope that the person who works on it knows what they're doing. Most times, the mechanic is too busy to give any detailed account of what's been done. Personally, I know that you have "been there and done that" in regards to your posts. In addition to your posts, the numerous contributing members of this forum who maintain and repair CT's enhance the knowledge base found on this forum. You're taking your personal time to provide a wealth of knowledge free of charge. If anyone has ever searched the web to find advice on how to fix something, only to get many offers of advice for a "fee", this forum is a very unique "go to" place to find answers to probably any questions one might have. The other day, I was at an airport and a person came in with his Jabiru. We were looking at his plane and he brought up the forum. Eventhough he didn't own a CT, he said he frequently visited this forum and the other CT forum to get general advice and said there wasn't anything like this for Jabiru owners. He intended to start a similar forum going for Jabiru because he realized how important it is.

Hi Dick,

Here is a Jabiru forum he or anyone else can go to for information. I do work on Jabiru's when they come in, but the Rotax in my area out numbers the Jabiru 10-1. I frequent this forum myself so I can keep up on items of interest. It is completely different from the Rotax, a little more towards the Continental or Lycoming side. Not a bad engine just different.

http://forums.matronics.com/viewforum.php?f=29

As I have grown older and people all through life have helped me, I have felt that helping others now is my way of paying forward the nice things people have done for me over the years. So now helping others makes me feel good about where I'm at in life. So if I can give someone an answer that helps them then that is my good deed for the day and I always enjoy talking to pilots and owners and maybe, just maybe make someones day a little easier. People still help me and I'm happy for that everyday, too. When I was young I didn't always think like this, but now I have put on a few years it's absolutely the right thing to do because I finially came ro realize we really are all in this together.

Take Care,

Roger Lee

p.s.

Give me a call and we can catch up sometime.

Roger, I'll forward the link to the Jabiru forum to the Jabiru owner. It's not only good flying season in Michigan, it's also boating season. I'm getting the boats running (this varies day to day) and will give you a call. I checked the Jabiru out pretty good. It appeared to be well constructed and I like the looks of it. It had nice proportions. It sat low to the ground with a fairly wide stance of the composite main gear. The two doors on he pilot's side was a good feature as was the huge amount of room in the back where the rear seat was removed to qualify for Light Sport. Still though, the Jabiru didn't have the cockpit room, range and speed that the CTLS has. I haven't looked at the specs but don't believe that it has the useful load that the CTLS has, especially the CTSW's useful load.

Interesting that you see the 10-1 ratio of Rotax to Jabiru engines. Paul Plumley was given a Jabiru and a Rotax engine to work on during his LSRM certification course at Oshgosh. He said that the internal differences between the two engines was an eye opener. The engine he worked on still had the cylinder cross hatching after 1000 hours. A Rotax heavy repair mechanic I know says that the clearances are so tight on the Rotax that one can take the rings off the pistons and put them back in the jug, turn the jug upside down and the pistion will not fall out.

Hi Dick,

I do think the Rotax is a better engine. When you said Jabiru I thought you were talking about just the Jabiru engine and not the plane. I had a friend at my field with a J250 Jabiru plane. I worked on it and the CT is far better in craftsmanship.

Archived