Garmin 496

rookie

I wonder if anyone else has experienced this problem with a 496. On a recent x-country I was almost to my destination when a line of clouds formed. I decided to check weather only to find I no longer had weather. It was disappointing but no big deal, I picked and alternate and proceed on, figuring it was a problem with XM-weather.

On my return home I was switching back and forth between pages. When I went back to map I found I was no longer “track up”; I was “track left to right”. The terrain page was still okay (track up). Now I’m concerned that my first problem was the 496, not XM-weather, also considering that the map orientation didn’t make sense I’m concerned about the 496

Timing for this problem is not good, I’m doing at least one long x-country each week prepping for what I had hoped would be a trip to Page. Although I have an ipad & VOR for back up that won’t help on weather. I’m not keen on going that far without XM-weather.

Hopefully this is just a case of “operator error”; until this summer all I ever used was “direct to” & nearest.

rookie,

Hi Al,

The majority of us and GA fliers don't have weather. What did the aviation community do before weather was available at the touch of a button? You're in luck since I always order good weather for Page. You don't have far to go and it should be a nice flight. Your eyes and senses are still a good bet when it comes to avoiding weather.

Hi Al,

Once in awhile the Garmins will reset themselves back to factory defaults to include losing the XM weather. Just have your XM radio ID available, go online at this link Reset and send the refresh signal. Then you will just have to reset the settings you like for the displays again. Should be fine after that. You should also check the gamin site and verify you have the latest software version.

My XM weather often does not work on the ground - a disadvantage when at a remote strip without computer weather - since the calls to the FAA take about a half hour -- and then it will work in the air. I have taken off to get weather before instead of waiting ! WF

XM weather should be viewed as an additional source of information that makes flying safer but should not be relied on for primary weather avoidance. It can go out anytime or fail to fire up at all, especially if your better half cancels the service by accident :). We don't fly fast enough that a good preflight briefing, coupled with flight following and enroute weather from flight watch won't get you to your destination safely. Now then, XM weather provides excellent situation awareness that allows you to fine tune the other sources. Do not use XM weather to make a trip that you would not otherwise take. I have certainly used XM weather to avoid isolated storms but I could see them and I was on flight following with center pointing out cells. I would not have taken these trips if XM weather was my sole source of info.

YMMV.

Archived