Garmin 696

Al Downs

I actually have mine set with this reminder every 60 minutes. I have it as a reminder to look at the actual fuel indicators on the wings. As we all know the Dynon Fuel calculator is just that.....a calculator. It requires that the correct info be put in. But it also is not a sensor.

2 years ago an FBO did not close correctly a fuel cap on my CTLS and about one hour into the flight I noticed that the fuel on the right tank was almost empty. The fuel calculator of course indicated that it was full. I landed right away to only find the cap in the up position and very loose. I had lost over 20 gallons of fuel.

Only verifying every certain time the actual fuel indicators on the wings will you be able to really be sure how much fuel you really have.

Before selling my CTLS, I kept the 696 "switch fuel tanks" reminder set to 20 minutes to check for the balance between the left and right tanks. Adjust the rudder trim to leave the ball slightly out of center to rebalance the fuel. By checking and adjusting three times an hour, you keep both tanks close to even for the duration of the flight.

Archived