Props

Douglas Bohnert

Hey All,

Just thought I'd go ahead and ask the experts ahead of my research...

Tomorrow I am removing a prop off a CTLS and putting it on a CTSW for a one time flight back to a service center. Same motor and gearbox.

Was hoping I could do this without needing to re-adjust the blade angle, thanks for any inputs.

Yes it's the Nueform. And I figured on definitely checking blade angles after installing it on the CTSW.

Do you think it may be easier to pull the gearbox off with the prop or is this not possible? I'm not anywhere near the aircraft right now, so please excuse my lack of experience or insight.

Thanks again!

Hi Doug,

The Neuform prop can be pulled off an LS or SW and go right on the other plane and you shouldn't need to make any adjustments. It may be off a tad as far as equal rpm, but not enough to worry about for a few flights. If it was a permanent change then I would double check it, but either way it will be close. You need to pull a prop to pull the gear box. Don't pull gearboxes unless you need to do maint to it.

Hi Roger,

Thanks for your input! I was thinking of pulling the gearbox off as well because the propeller was stopped by impact on the SW and the gearbox will have to be inspected by Flight Design. If it were as easy to pull everything together I would have gone that route but since you say I will have to pull off the prop first I will probably leave the gearbox alone until the SW gets back to home base. Then pull it and send it to FD.

I appreciate your expertise and advice always!

Doug

Hi Doug,

Why are you sending the gearbox to FD? I don't believe they are a Rotax Heavy Maint authorized shop? I would most definitely send it to a Rotax shop that sees a lot of these to do the inspection.

I just looked on the Rotax website and there is no Heavy Maint shop in CT.

Roger can get it done for you for sure.

One thing I have ran in to is stretching the 3 small bolts that hold the hub together. Before breaking the torque on the 6 prop bolts, break the 3 smaller bolts and snug them to where they just touch the hub. Then break the 6 larger bolts holding the prop assy on the GB flange. Then you can re-torque the 3 smaller bolts to 90 inch pounds and keep the prop pitch preserved.

I have seen these smaller bolts stretch and break, so heads up.

Archived