Landing light problem

Al Downs

My landing light light went out. If all of the landing lights are set up the same way, it is a problem waiting to happen. The two wires from the light were attached to the tab shown in the picture with a nylon wire tie. You can see the damage to the wire insulation which allowed the wires to short out. Check this next time you have the cowl off and repair them before it causes a problem. A wire tie is ok but it needs to go thru a small piece of hose used as a stand off so the metal tab does not wear the insulation. I can't show a picture of what I mean because it is not together yet. I need to find a new bulb. Anyone know the part number and source? Also the bulb seems to be set in some sort of sealant. Silicone caulk?

When I git the bulb replaced I will post a picture of the stand off I use.

post-535-0-53027100-1343051482_thumb.jpg

Hi Al,

A few here have replaced the bulb with an LED, but I don't remember the number.

Here is the original and can be purchased from www.bulbconnection.com

It's a Philips Mfg Product code 31488-0 Description EFP-409737

http://www.bulbconnection.com/ViewSearch.cfm?pg=1&keyword=31488-0&submit_search.x=0&submit_search.y=0&submit_search=Submit

The sealant is a little clear silicone. Be careful removing and separating the light and lens so you don't crack the leans. When you re-install it do not apply hardly any pressure to the screws or you will crack the lens. Very, very light pressure on the screws. Don't over use the silicone sealant.

My landing light light went out. If all of the landing lights are set up the same way, it is a problem waiting to happen. The two wires from the light were attached to the tab shown in the picture with a nylon wire tie. You can see the damage to the wire insulation which allowed the wires to short out. Check this next time you have the cowl off and repair them before it causes a problem. A wire tie is ok but it needs to go thru a small piece of hose used as a stand off so the metal tab does not wear the insulation. I can't show a picture of what I mean because it is not together yet. I need to find a new bulb. Anyone know the part number and source? Also the bulb seems to be set in some sort of sealant. Silicone caulk?

When I git the bulb replaced I will post a picture of the stand off I use.

Here is a picture of how I changed the mount so it doesn't wear the wire again. I used a small rubber b ushing about 1/4" thick and a nylon tie. The wires now rest on rubber instead of the metal tab.

post-535-0-31159000-1343067915_thumb.jpg

Huh, what? Someone mention me?

This is the old thread: http://ctflier.com/index.php?/topic/916-landing-light-lens/page__p__6107__hl__aurora__fromsearch__1#entry6107

http://www.amazon.com/ALTLED-Listed-Lumen-Socket-Chipset/dp/B004KZAA4W/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1306551261&sr=8-15

These are still the best direct drop-ins and 38deg is a good angle. Leave off the glass cover; mine was cracked anyway. I do have a squawk on them though: You should pop off the little metal ring on the front and apply a bead of epoxy and re-insert. I lost that ring and the PMMA lens it is supposed to retain due to vibration which, to be fair, the OEM probably didn't anticipate.

Archived