weight and balance

kgassmann

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

does anyone have a good spreadsheet for calculating weight and balance or could provide me with examples?

Thanks.

By all means use a good spreadsheet if you can find one. Probably very good examples already given here.

But if you know your way around any spreadsheet program, there will be benefit in rolling your own. Start with weight x arm = moment, dividing by 1,000 (or whatever) as appropriate.

If you do come up with one, review it carefully, and maybe even post it here for error checking.

Good luck!

Here's a link to my spreadsheet "N9922Z" referenced here. I made this when I originally purchased my CTSW but it can be modified to work with just about any aircraft. Go to "tools" "protection" and select "unprotect sheet" to unlock the cells. The parameters of the sheet can then be changed to match one's aircraft weight, etc.

N9922Z W&B worksheet_100210.xls

Weight and Balance relative to legal flight.

Regarding required onboard Weight & Balance ARO(W) documentation....Is it a

W&B data sheet found in the POH or Logbook with builders info, or must on do one for each flight? Which one is it that the FAA courtesy inspector will ask for?

You need a current, updated weight and balance in your plane. The "Sample Plane" in the POH does not make it.

You do not need one filled out for every flight. But in theory you should KNOW that if you did fill one out, you would be within both weight and balance limitations.

Here's a "cheat sheet" I use when I have passengers (for my Sky Arrow, but you get the idea):

8162558776_5354891fd5.jpg

All reasonable loadings result in a CG within limits.

Good news is I'm now closer to 183 lbs, giving me a little more "wiggle room".

• 2 weeks later...

Remember that CFR 91.103 has an all-inclusive "gotcha":

Each pilot in command shall, before beginning a flight, become familiar with all available information concerning that flight. (bolded mine)

If you came to grief on a landing and the aircraft was found to be either over gross or out of limits, I think they could hang you on that one.

If you were within limits, I still don't feel that carrying a computation for a particular flight is necessary. What is necessary is that the pilot is familiar with all normal loadings and what it takes to get out of limits.

I think it takes a little more than showing specific aircraft POH W&B data and guesstimating your load factors and CG verbally infront of an inspector, or even an instructor during a BFR or training. At the very least, to be convincing a pilot should be able, without hesitation, to demonstrate the process followed to derive the particular flights W&B. So its about methodology; do we just whip out our precalculated/templated cheat sheets to show the FAA Inspector, during his courtsey inspection, the specific load data for PAX, baggage, and fuel that our particular flight is based on in the template? Or, why not just do it on the GPS Wt and Balance Ap during flight planning/preflight, and show him that you did do diligence. But I think the cheat sheet method, since its paper, should work as long as it represents the loads fairly close to the particular flight.

Has anyone undergone a Courtesy Inspection?

Has anyone undergone a Courtesy Inspection?

If you mean "ramp check", I've had exactly one in 35+ years of flying.

It was at Ft. Lauderdale after returning from the Bahamas and going through customs.

IIRC, they just wanted to see the aircraft's registration and airworthiness certificate, and my license and medical.

Not a big deal, unless you don't have one of the required documents, of course! ;)

To me, the practical thing is mostly weight. Fuel fuel plus how much? (376 # in my bird). Less the weight of all the stuff that lives in the plane (take it out and weigh it. 43# in my case). Then, if the humans and bags weigh more than #333, how much fuel do I have to leave behind? In the CT, the more you load the more aft the CG tends to go, but it is almost never out of the envelope. If it gets close, move some heavy stuff from the bag bay to under the seats or in front of the rudder pedals. WF

• 1 year later...

While I was waiting for my Jubilee to arrive I went searching for useful IPad apps and found this one for W&B. Aviation W&B its called. Easy enough to set up a template for your plane. What I really like over an excel solution is that you can do it on your iphone or ipad right at the airport, see the results real time and also email a copy to yourself of the output. I thought the 10 bucks was worth it for these benefits. I know Fltplan.com's mobile app now does this as well (and is free but they need to set up the template for you). Here are some screen shots. The last one is what the emailed output looks like.

post-81-0-67460000-1389183823_thumb.jpg

post-81-0-05619100-1389183837_thumb.jpg

post-81-0-09189500-1389183851_thumb.jpg

post-81-0-47331000-1389183872_thumb.jpg

While I was waiting for my Jubilee to arrive I went searching for useful IPad apps and found this one for W&B. Aviation W&B its called. Easy enough to set up a template for your plane. What I really like over an excel solution is that you can do it on your iphone or ipad right at the airport, see the results real time and also email a copy to yourself of the output. I thought the 10 bucks was worth it for these benefits. I know Fltplan.com's mobile app now does this as well (and is free but they need to set up the template for you). Here are some screen shots. The last one is what the emailed output looks like.

Paul, that's the app I use. Once you get it set up it takes about ten seconds to do a complete and accurate W&B. I think there is a built-in profile for the CTLS, I just modified it to match the W&B numbers for my CTSW. I think the app costs $10...well worth is and much easier than futzing with spreadsheets, IMO.

I put together a spreadsheet (sorry Andy :)) for my Sting and quickly discovered that was no way to get the Sting out of CG. I varies fuel, co-pilot and baggage and I was still safely in the envelope. I had to go 2x baggage, empty fuel tank and throw in a 230 co-pilot to get 0.2 inches aft of CG. In short, the only thing I do now is mentally determine the weight and I'm good to go provided I'm at a legal weight.

Just curious, is it practical to get a CT out of CG?

Hi Dave,

You almost can't get the CT out of CG.

agree on cg envelope. busting a weight limit though is easy in a jubilee. I use it as much for that as anything.

and the output looks so nice i almost want to get ramp checked:)

Archived