Radiator shutters

Scrapman1959

I don't have a CT but my Sting has a Permacool oil thermostat that will keep the temps no lower than 180-190F although I've not flown in temps below 20F. Really haven't had the opportunity to fly in colder weather given my location but I'd assume it would work. I rarely tape since I've found I can just hit 200F using a steep climb to 3-4K feet in most Dallas conditions. Cruise then settles somewhere between 180 and 190F.

That might work well for you guys dealing with small temperature changes, I fly to work everyday it's VFR and that means on Monday morning it could be 5 below zero and flying home Tuesday evening it may be 35 above. I would be adding and removing tape several times a week. For the extremes we have here in the Midwest, the shutters are the way to go.

At those temps you do not need to add or remove any tape. The temp change isn't enough to worry about. I have been doing it this way for 6 years on the CT and more years on other Rotax engines.

5 below and 35F won't be a big shake. Put the tape on to see around 200F at 0-5F and you'll be good to go on the 35F swing for the cold..

Archived