Stick and taxi

Roger Lee

I have a question:

Let's say you just landed (any way you wanted :) and your safely on the ground) and now you have to taxi. The wind in blowing on the nose of your plane at 30 mph all the time no matter which way you turn. Where is the stick position for you as you taxi into this wind?

It's the chart on p 2-9, AFH, which has a discussion of taxiing.

With a strong headwind, elevator authority controls pitch attitude while taxiing. In a nose-wheel airplane, the stick is held in the neutral position. Tailwheel use the stick aft, generally full aft. page 2-10.

Ladies and Gentelmen

I submit that there is a great deal of experience and thought going into your posts. There will however not be a right or wrong way to make a approach and landing here in our islands that is the same each time. We might take off from our grass strip which is under class b airspace, in the banana field and fly less fifteen miles to land at Honolulu International. There after be cleared in you must, expect any one of many instructrions. Perhaps at two thousand feet and two miles from the field you will be given a new runway with instructions to make base to the numbers, 4L. Then land and hold short of runways 8L, expedite clearing runway, heavy on 5 mile final. In this case you are hoping to actually get the wheels turning as you enter the highspeed taxiway. This is not dangerour actions as everyone knows what to expect from the aircraft and the pilots after many years.

On the return to the grass strip it is better to have a very stablized approach, full flaps, centerline between the right shoe and the left. Hit your mark as the departure end of the field has not been measured, but I estimate the cliff to be more than 100 feet deep, with a slope of 60 degree or better.

I enjoy your discussions and learn here everyday.

Farmer.

On a downwind taxi you definitely dont want the elevator down because that would lift the tail and puke the prop.

There you go again bigs, Did you know that your CT doesn't have an elevator?

tailwind= full down stabilator. ( that means 'On a downwind taxi you definitely dont [do] want the elevator [stabilator] down because that would lift [prevent lifting of] the tail and puke [protect] the prop.' )

When you make statements like that, with your authoritative and condescending tone someone might take your advice and damage their aircraft.

The mental shortcut I learned was: "Climb into the wind, and dive away from the wind".

Meaning...

Quartering right headwind, stick back and to the right, as if you were climbing into the wind.

Quartering right tailwind, stick forward and to the left, as if you were diving away from the wind.

And so on. Direct head or tailwind and just climb* or dive. Results in deflections as per the diagram and FAA recommendations.

Works for me!

*as coopercity said, nosewheel with headwind, neutral elevator instead of stick back.

I agree with the stick positions on a 30 mph head wind. So what I see is there is no one here that would pull the stick all the way back in that kind of wind? (remember it is a straight on head wind only)

Only for a tailwheel aircraft.

In a nosewheel aircraft, back stick in a strong wind could actually "rotate" the tail down and, if strong enough, get the plane airborne.

In a tailwheel, the tail is already as low as it can get, so back stick just plants it more firmly. Could still get airborne with a strong enough wind, though.

Hi Eddie,

"In a nosewheel aircraft, back stick in a strong wind could actually "rotate" the tail down and, if strong enough, get the plane airborne.'

I agree that a strong 30+ mph head wind could get the nose back in the air. The wings don't care how the wind across them get there. 30+ winds and certainly 45 mph winds across the wings can get the nose in the air.

So now to the point of my post. At 38-43 knots ( a stall landing), (44-50 mph is a lot more than 30 mph)

So then why land with the stick all the way back on landing especially in the wind if it could get your nose in the air just during taxi at a lower wind flow across the wings.

Why not do as the other post suggest and keep the stick slightly back and then neutral or maybe an 1" forward of neutral to keep the nose down in case of other gust on the nose?

I guess I didn't recognize your original post as bait.

Why get the stick all the way back on landing? It results in the slowest possible touchdown and the least amount of kinetic energy to dissipate on the ground. Once on the ground and transitioning to taxi speeds, the back pressure gets relieved in a nosewheel aircraft. It all can come together and work really well. Honest. You make it sound like a method of landing planes that has served pilots well for about a century is somehow flawed. It's really not.

Bringing up gusts is a red herring - it's already been stipulated repeatedly that gusty days are not the time to be fooling with full stall landings.

5 extra knots has been stipulated to not be a big deal. It's not what I'd call "flying it on".

Still, that's about a 10% increase if we're in the vicinity of 50k.

From Aerodynamics For Naval Aviators:

Thus, a 10 percent excess landing speed would cause a 21 percent increase in landing distance. The excess speed places a greater working load on the brakes because of the additional kinetic energy to be dissipated. Also, the additional speed causes increased drag and lift in the normal ground attitude and the increased lift will reduce the normal force on the braking surfaces. The acceleration during this range of speed immediately after touchdown may suffer and it will be more likely that a tire can be blown out from braking at this point. As a result, 10 percent excess landing speed will cause at least a 21 percent greater landing distance.

Just sayin'.

Oh, and for CT4ME...Gun Control!

I learned it at "attack a headwind, dive away from a tailwind" on taxi. Attack = neutral stabilator, aileron into the wind. Anyone use -6 on the flaps in a headwind?

I learned it "steer into the headwind and dive away from a tailwind" meaning neutral elevator and ailerons into the wind for headwind, and down elevator and ailerons away from the tailwind. I believe my plane has an elevator.

Dunno....I was taught stick into wind when taxying for nosewheel a/c

That's backwards for a quartering tailwind.

In that case the stick should be away from the wind. You want the wind blowing against the downward deflected upwind aileron to help keep the wing down.

Clear?

Archived