New Rotax fuel pump SB-912-063

Safety Officer

FYI,

Here is the latest Rotax fuel pump service bulletin. Revision 1

http://www.flyrotax.com/portaldata/5/dokus/d05681.pdf

It does not include all pumps. It does not include the older Pierburg or the new aluminum colored Corona pump. It does cover the AC pumps.

It is a replacement pump bulletin. There is a video on the Rotax-Owner.com website.

http://www.rotax-own...os/424-fuelpump

Thanks for that.

I'm going to check my pump next time I'm at the hangar.

Here's what it looks like:

5472042440_027527823c_z.jpg

The new style is pretty expensive at over $500.

Is the consensus to leave well enough alone until fuel pressure starts to drop, or to change it out prophylactically?

Is the consensus to leave well enough alone until fuel pressure starts to drop

My fuel pump has been working just fine for 5+ years and tend to think I should leave well enough alone. But want to hear from our un-opinionated group :D

Hi Eddie,

The new SB is only a recommendation.

The new pump without hoses are only $167. You do not need the expensive pump with hoses.

This is going to be one of those personal decisions for sure. Pumps tend to be good for a long time or go bad fairly soon. Most that are working tend to last quite a while. If the old AC pump starts to fail it tends to start weeping slightly out the bottom weep holes. I have never heard of a pump in a total all out failure. Even when it weeps it doesn't affect the pressure. I have replaced a number of them. A weeping pump is easy to see if you wipe your finger under the fuel pump flange. On the CT you will have fuel or oil stains on the cooling plenum just below the pump where it will drip.

Rotax wants any affected pumps changed out and if it is at the 5 year mark or older. Technically right along with the hose change.

So each person will need to decide to follow Rotax or just move along and watch the pump and as the bulletin states not all pumps are affected.

Hey guys,

Just to keep everyone in the loop, we're getting prices and availability for the fuel pump installation kit listed in the SB. It is part number 881-360 and includes the fuel pump with o-ring and gasket, fuel line nipples, crush washers, new mount nuts and washers, and 4 ear clamps to reattach the fuel lines and fire sleeve.

I'll add to the post when I have prices and availability.

Kevin Kane

Roger we in the UK have had a lot of total failures on the ground and in flight there is 6 that i personaly know of this change has been a long time coming shame Rotax wont foot the bill for them

Mike

I have never heard of a pump in a total all out failure.

You win the bet.

If not Experimental, this clearly would require an A & P or LSRM.

Since the pump's failure is rarely sudden and would not by itself bring the plane down (as long as the boost pump was working), I'll probably let mine continue in service until it becomes an issue - if it ever does.

Hi Mike,

Can you describe a total failure on those pumps and what happened when they failed. We have never seen a pump totally go out like you flip a light switch. On the CT the engine will still run because of the high wing tanks. I tested this a few years back with actual run test. You may only get 5K rpm, but that's good enough to fly. All we normally see here is the pump starts to leak.

Hi Andy,

It only takes a few minutes to change out a pump (15-20 min). Eddie is right that it needs an RLSM or A&P to do it.

Since the pump's failure is rarely sudden and would not by itself bring the plane down (as long as the boost pump was working), I'll probably let mine continue in service until it becomes an issue - if it ever does.

I hate being right!

Unfortunately for the CT folks we don't have a boost pump, just gravity.

Hi Mike,

Can you describe a total failure on those pumps and what happened when they failed. We have never seen a pump totally go out like you flip a light switch. On the CT the engine will still run because of the high wing tanks. I tested this a few years back with actual run test. You may only get 5K rpm, but that's good enough to fly. All we normally see here is the pump starts to leak.

Hi Andy,

It only takes a few minutes to change out a pump (15-20 min). Eddie is right that it needs an RLSM or A&P to do it.

There you go again Roger, making me look bad. But, you do this all the time whereas I only work on my own plane.

It takes me that long to get the cowl on and off. :(

And no, I am not challenging you because I always lose! Last time it cost me dinner for two at the Outback :)

Except when you have fuel injection...

Nice catch! ;)

So, does that make fuel injection "a great design DIS-advantage"?*

BTW, my Sky Arrow is a high wing, but the engine is still above the fuselage fuel tank (and the wing, for that matter). One of my fuel pumps better be working or things will get pretty quiet pretty fast!

*just kidding, of course! I think.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This is the latest information I have about the fuel pump service bulletin. Rotax has a "fuel pump update kit" part number in the service bulletin 881-360 and it includes the pump, gasket, nipples, and clamps to reuse your existing hoses and it sells for $98.00. Unfortunately I'm not sure how long it will be until Rotax can deliver the parts, we have some on order now but again I don't know when to expect them.

We do have the 893-114 fuel pump assembly that includes pump, gasket, nipples and pre-assembled suction and pressure hoses. For owners affected by the service bulletin the retail price of that pump is $155. We should be able to get those in a much more reasonable time, we currently have some on order and will order more this week.

To order one, call 800-247-9653.

• 4 weeks later...

Coincidentally last week I was going to fly to do further festiv of my Garmin 496 which seems to have an intermittent problem. Engine runup was normal so I launched. Just as I lifted off, the big red engine light came on. Took a few seconds to read the fine print on the EMS but it said Low Fuel Pressure so I cut the power and landed on remaining runway. Engine ran fine. I did two run ups, pushing past 4,000rpm. Each time fuel pressure dropped to 2.1psi on the gauge and set off the red light but at normal runup rpm of 4,000 it was in the green. I have te AC pump and my Rotax man spotted the stains Roger mentioned from the cent holes. The airplane is 5/1/2 years old and has 208 TT. Guess Rotax is Right On with the timing of the mechanical fuel pump. Only problem is everyone we've called so far is out of stock! Great supply chain there! -George

Archived