• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dave Armando

9:47 AM (10 minutes ago)

cleardot.gif

to me

cleardot.gif

More than $ 2,000.00 plus shipping from GmbH.

I don't have a number for that. It will take awhile for an answer.

So if you wish to go forward let me know because they are swamped over there and I don't want to slow them down if you think the small amount of extra cooling is worth the costs.

''Floats'' has a bigger one on his float CTSW.

The rad is the same thickness and height but longer

factory installed

I can't match up that partnumber yet but if its same thicknes and height but longer it would likely be 12.99" wide and 5.75" tall and for 220hp-330hp engines or handles about double the btu/hr.

Next step might be a thermostat.

CT,

Before you go and spend 2k, I think you should measure the air pressure behind and in front of the oil cooler at the face in 3 places. Left, middle and right. The pressure readings along with your airspeed and cooler angle will give you the needed numbers to calculate the btu/hr loss that is actually occurring.

I can't match up that partnumber yet but if its same thicknes and height but longer it would likely be 12.99" wide and 5.75" tall and for 220hp-330hp engines or handles about double the btu/hr.

Next step might be a thermostat.

A thermostat will do a lot for your plane's engine.

Ed,

It might be bigger, but your opening isn't. If it isn't totally exposed it may be a fruitless en devour. Plus your plane isn't different from everyone else so I still believe you have a problem you haven't found yet or all of us would be over heating. A bigger cooler may be masking your other problem or not solve it at all.

This is a series 6 Setrab cooler with 9 rows and almost 12" wide. It is as big as the coolant radiator and it is what FD chooses when the do float installs or designs that tow. I don't intend to alter my cowl just take advantage of the extra capacity where I can. If my problem is elsewhere it will remain and I can cross this off my list. It is reasonable to assume there is a design issue here because I know of many other owners that have the same issue.

I can either start with a new cooler or detatch my current one with a dremmel tool and then re-fasten with the same tack welds.

It isn't a design flaw. You have to wonder why we have so many in the southwest with hotter temps than most and we don't over heat.

I don't think you can say it isn't a design flaw at least until you have identified the fix. Rans and Vans have the same issues and even FD has a higher capacity cooler for the same 100hp Rotax engine.

I say its a matter of relief and the 8-10-12,000' initial climbs that are often needed in the far west place a larger demand on our CTSWs than you see in Phoenix.

Now that I have confirmed that I can get to redline in just 5,000' of climbing or just waiting for take-off in Vegas I know I have to fix it or suffer the downside from running beyond the permissible temperature range. The spending isn't over, next I will either need a thermostat or find the reason my cooler still isn't working like it did when the plane was new.

Try putting one of these on the back and let us know what you find.The fan produces a high-volume air flow while drawing 2.5 A. The fan has been tested for 1,000 hr in 230 deg F air, and thus can be expected to be very reliable. It is so effective that the oil temperature does not go above the green 190-230 deg F range even if ambient air temperature climbs past 100 deg F. Indeed, with the fan running, the oil temperature rarely goes beyond 210 deg F.

post-456-0-12333300-1384555515_thumb.jpg

Do you think that fan provides benefit once in the air?

My Sky Arrow has a similar one, but the checklist calls for it to be turned off before takeoff.

My impression was that it would not help, and might hinder, once in the air with 60k+ air going through the cooler anyway.

Eddie,

You are wrong. And it does not hinder as when it is off no rotation occurs as measured. Why don't we let CT spend a couple of dollars and try it. I mean its a lot less than spending 2000.00

I haven't seen your configuration and can't comment on its design effectiveness.

Eddie,

You are wrong.

Well...

...alrighty then!

Jim-Carrey-008.jpg

In any case, this is what 3i has to say about my DUAL fan install (click for larger image):

10877445874_425bcc442a_o.jpg

Fundamental difference may be that mine mount in front of the oil and coolant radiators. And, remember, I'm a pusher, and so the diagram above is sort of "backwards"!

My assumption has always been that, running, they interfere with the free flow of high speed air through the radiators, and that's why they get turned off in flight.

Maybe your location behind the radiators makes them less disruptive.

Don't really know.

Ed,

The CT has a water radiator mounted in front of the oil cooler. Doesn't help in free flow.

High speed? Is that measured in Mph? Pressure? Differential?

The key here us to get a larger volume of air thru the radiator without sacrificing drag.

It's a quick and cheap way to see if the issue is air flow or something other.

Archived