Oil Temp in a Climb

FlyingMonkey

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There have been multiple flushes and they continue.  The photo would be debris from 1 flush.  The first flushes resulted in a lot of metal and afterward the yellow material.

I believe it takes a lot of heat to get this stuff to release and that's why they continue to try even after they had a 12 micron screen that was clean, normally that is the stopping point.

My magnetic plug and filter have never produced much metal.

There have been multiple flushes and they continue.  The photo would be debris from 1 flush.  The first flushes resulted in a lot of metal and afterward the yellow material.

I believe it takes a lot of heat to get this stuff to release and that's why they continue to try even after they had a 12 micron screen that was clean, normally that is the stopping point.

Replace the cooler?  What are they flushing with, hot water?

What kind of metal?

There is a guy from an engine shop that does a talk about engine problems they have seen. One was a seized main bearing that had the oil passage blocked from some sort of plastic that was not in a recognizable shape. They finally figured out that it was from the plastic ring on a oil bottle. When the oil was at temp it became pliable and moved through the system. I know when I got my first airplane one of the recommended oils was Pennzoil, in yellow bottles. This is the first thought that came to my mind when I saw the picture.

from an "oil guy" forum...

A paraffin is just a common name for a saturated C-H chain (hydrocarbon chain). In chemistry they are known as an alkane. The term paraffinic base oil is derived from the term paraffin, meaning a saturated hydrocarbon based oil. 

Almost all motor oils contain, or, are mostly paraffin's (alkanes), including Group I, II, III, IV and many oils in Group V. The exception in motor oils are the ones based on esters (Group V) and other oils which are not paraffins in Group V, but a motor oil using only ester base oils is rare. 

Paraffin is sometimes confused with paraffin wax. A paraffin isn’t necessarily a wax. There are paraffin type compounds and then there are paraffin waxes. The shorter paraffins (alkanes) like methane (CH4) and ethane (C2H6) are gaseous at room temperature. As the hydrocarbon chain gets longer ~ 10C, the C-H chained molecules become liquid at room temperature (oils), and when you have a long straight chain with ~20C atoms or more, the molecules will form a crystalline structure at room temperature known as a wax. 

PAO's are made from alkenes, which are not paraffins (alkane's). Alkenes = olefin = C-H molecule with at least one double C=C bond. Modern PAO's are hydrogenated to remove any remaining C=C double bonds (saturate the carbon atoms with hydrogen) to increase their thermal/oxidative stability, which in effect turns the chained alkenes in the PAO into alkanes, which are paraffin's. So, hydrogenated PAO's (Group IV) are paraffin's too.

FD USA response:

Dave Armando via mammothlakesinsulation.com 

11:34 AM (1 minute ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
to Ed
cleardot.gif

While no one has seen this that I've contacted.  

The opinion is that the use of different types of oil and a non-motorcycle engine oil instead of the now specified oil Sport +4 was the cause.

Just modified my SW with the spring in the hose. At a humid 90+ degrees , initial climb 1000 ft/ min to 1000 then 500 ft/ min to 4000. Oil temperature stability < 230 and cyl temperature decrease ( oil system also takes heat away ). Roger got this one right.

Archived