What do CTs call out as type in radio transmissions ?

Acensor

HI Alex,

Consider this,......

......A light sport can fly in at 120 knots or 40 knots. A GA can fly in at 120 knots or 40 knots too depending on the plane. When I approach from 5-10 miles out I'm faster than several GA aircraft so speed shouldn't be a factor. I fly at 110 knots right into the downwind......

....A light sport aircraft is not in the FAA or the ICAO manuals for an ID. A light sport may be a high wing, low wing or a Trike, ect...

​FDCT isn't really a call sign like Piper, Cessna or flight design, but an ICAO identifier in the controllers manual. ...

​All true, but "Light Sport" still DOES convey, as I listed, a whole set of specific information. More than the acceptable "experimental" .

But why not throw in "light sport" as well? "Flight Design Light Sport Niner Six Foxtrot Bravo"? Just two syllables extra and still educating the controllers and listeners. Actually even more.... as they've at least learned that a Flight Design is a Light Sport, which could well be more than they knew before. ;-) ...

Bet you money that if you walk into FBOs (other than your own or others where a CT is based) and ask pilots and staff, "what's a Flight Design aircraft" and "what's a Light Sport" you'll get more, and more reasonably accurate, answers to the latter question. And that FDCT pretty good odds it draws a blank when you ask "what would you be looking for if you were told there's an FDCT at your altitude at 2 o'clock?"

​Alex

When you specify an aircraft identifier the letters can be matched by the controller from the aircraft identifier database or the extended database that accepts ICAO codes. A couple of briefers have told me the system will allow them to enter any code beginning with a letter. Whether or not they try to match an actual code has a lot to do with the controllers interest or knowledge of aircraft types. Officially, Light Sport Aircraft barely even show up in the FAA databases. The identifiers, if any, come from the ICAO database, and it only describes you to the controller as a "single-engine, land-based, piston-powered, aircraft less than 15,000 pounds".

Tim

Archived