Will a 6 foot 7 inch guy fit in a CTSW?

Acensor

It will depend on where your partner's height is. My height is evenly distributed with my inseam being 36". My brother is 6' 6" with more height in the torso and he'd be cramped in the CTSW.

An inch or so wouldn't have been a problem for me. You'r partner may have trouble with a conventional headset, though.

6-7? yikes. his eyes will be above the wing caintilever boom. how much does he weigh? If hes over 300 ya got a bigger problem with that part.

Didn't weigh him, but he's tall and thin. Probably weighs about 200 - 225 I'd guess. Weight's not likely to be the issue. Just going to have to have him sit in the SW and see.

Myself I'm 145 pounds in winter clothes soaking wet. Flying my Skyranger ELSA solo with 10 gallons of fuel it's off the runway as if it had JATO units bolted on.

Alex

You will make weight easily then. But his height may get him unable to see straight ahead. His legs will also be major crunched. Careful he dosent rest his feet on the rudder peddals.

We'll just have to see. I'll try to remember to report back here. On the other hand he'll have great over the cowl and panel visability. I try to adjust myself in the seat.. cushions if necessary, to get self as high as practical... headset just clearing whatever's right over me. But, Hey.... he's supposed to have his feet on the rudder pedals when he's flying.

Alex

Didn't weigh him, but he's tall and thin. Probably weighs about 200 - 225 I'd guess. Weight's not likely to be the issue. Just going to have to have him sit in the SW and see.

Myself I'm 145 pounds in winter clothes soaking wet. Flying my Skyranger ELSA solo with 10 gallons of fuel it's off the runway as if it had JATO units bolted on.

Alex

I bet he'll fit okay, but might spend a lot of time looking at the back of the spar pass-through box... ;)

When you try him in the SW the seat can go back to the 3rd hole. There are holes behind that, but I don't think it works well to use them. Also make sure the seat back is not touching the rear bulkhead. You might have better luck with the short seats instead of the high backs.

When you try him in the SW the seat can go back to the 3rd hole. There are holes behind that, but I don't think it works well to use them. Also make sure the seat back is not touching the rear bulkhead. You might have better luck with the short seats instead of the high backs.

Thanks. When we demo the SW we'll likely have maybe about an hour and just that one chance, outside of flight time, to kick the tires. So want to make sure I understand what you're saying to investigate on the seats if he doesn't fit easily as configured.

So a couple of questions:

Will the third hole thing you mention be obvious ?

Is that, which holes to use, a no tools adjustment, a basic tools adjustment, or a "don't try this at home, professional driver on closed course" deal?

Are the short seats (did you mean backs or are those actually lower?) something that were a factory option? The photos I saw of this SW have high backs.

I suppose one could order one shorter seat fro FD for just the price of a leg?

Alex

If that's the need..I can trade my shorts seats..just want to help :)

Thanks much! That option could possibly be what keeps his height from being a deal breaker.

Will keep that in mind.

How much lower(?) ... How much more headroom do you think the short seat gives?

Curious how you happened to have the shorter seats as you apparently don't NEED them?

Alex

Thanks. When we demo the SW we'll likely have maybe about an hour and just that one chance, outside of flight time, to kick the tires. So want to make sure I understand what you're saying to investigate on the seats if he doesn't fit easily as configured.

So a couple of questions:

Will the third hole thing you mention be obvious ?

Is that, which holes to use, a no tools adjustment, a basic tools adjustment, or a "don't try this at home, professional driver on closed course" deal?

Are the short seats (did you mean backs or are those actually lower?) something that were a factory option? The photos I saw of this SW have high backs.

I suppose one could order one shorter seat fro FD for just the price of a leg?

Alex

The seats are mounted on tracks with 5 holes, and the pins go through the holes. The tracks lower the seat as it goes back, and raises it when it is forward. The rear of the seat is supported with a strap that needs to be adjusted when the seat move fore and aft. When you go beyond the third hole you have problems with the high seat back hitting the rear bulkhead. If you let the seat back rest on the bulkhead you will break the seat. IIRC the low back seat can move just a little farther back.

Archived