Flat tire on landing

Roger Lee

Howdy All,

Yesterday 4 Ct's from Ryan Airfield went for a breakfast run. On landing one of them had a flat front tire. The pilot said he felt something a little different right at lift off at Ryan. Landing at our destination the front tire was flat. He stopped right on the runway. Absolutely no damage to the metal wheel or anything else and the landing was uneventful, other than that slight squirrely feeling on the front end.

On examination of the tire the stem had been completely ripped out. There were no signs of puncture in the tire or tube. So my only conclusion right now was a low tire pressure that lead to tire rotation on the rim. The tire is almost brand new and very thick rubber. If the tire pressure is allowed to become too low then when the plane taxi's and turns left or right it wants to move the tire on the rim and when you land and touch down that sudden speed gain and friction put on the front tire will make it turn on the wheel. Make sure you keep plenty of air in your tires.

If you hate to check tire pressure and rarely do check pressure because of the wheel pants are in the way, then I would say it is safer to trim them so you make a more conscensious effert and frequent effort at wheel inspections than to not do the wheel check because it is too big a pain in the butt due to the low wheel pant obstructing your view and pressure gauge.

SAFETY FIRST! :)

Then off to eat breakfast first then fix the flat. :lol:

p.s.

These were the small ties. The front is a 4.00-4. None to be had at most airports. We fixed it on the ramp so he could at least get him home. We picked up a tube from Ace Aviation (Ace Hardware) and scrounging a few makeshift metric tools from a Kawasaki motorcycle. Thank God I watched MacGyver when I was younger! B)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have had three nose wheel flats in LSA, two of those in my CT. Luckily, in the CT incidents I was able to pump the tire up from one of those cans of instant tire flat fixer for cars (which I always keep on board), and they held the air long enough to get us home. The first experience was more entertaining, in my previous light sport, a KP5 (later called sky leader). We landed on the grass strip at Nantucket, MA in the fall on a Sunday, went flat on rollout, and the place was deserted. My cell phone was almost out of juice. Luckily, a local guy in town was willing to come out and found a spare tube from a tail dragger, loaned it to us, and we made it home. Otherwise, the poor bird might have been covered in snow until spring, as it began to snow a few days later! We sent him a nice bottle of wine with the borrowed tube and remain eternally grateful! WF

I have had the good fortune to blow several tires in the CTsw. Taxing, takeoff, and after landing. On the plus side, the airplane is moving fairly slow so it was a non-event.

What I learned is to take tires seriously. Change them (tires and tubes) before they are bald and keep the pressure up. I also keep a couple of spares in the back, or under a seat, when on cross country trip.

Scott Johnson

• 9 months later...

Evening All: I didn't have a flat on landing, but.... About 10 days ago, on the way to Goldsbore, NC, Nancy and I dropped into Orangeburg, SC (OGB) to refuel. We refueled and about 50 feet down the taxiway, the steering became weird and the speed dropped off, adding power did nothing, the A/C did not want to mave. We stopped and I shutdown to look around and sure as heck the nose tire was completely flat, BUMMER. I had to push and steer the A/C from the tail and the 1/4 mile back to the office was a pain. There was noone around, but after a few calls the airport manager came out to rescue us. To make a long story short, the manager arranged to have a mechanic fix the tire (after I had one and a tube overnighted from Lockwood), we left the plane in a hanger, drove to New York in a rental car, came back 5 days later and went home. OGB is really a friendly place to go into.

The trip home was another story, XM weather is wonderful.

See ya, Ken and Nancy Nolde N840KN, 400+

• 3 weeks later...

I woill keep tubes with me now--hell I had a flat main after I got home. Hopefully, no more tire problems for a while. See ya, Ken

Ouch, Ken! I keep a spare main and a spare nosewheel tube on board now all the time. WF

Hi All,

We are getting way too many front flat tires. It is most likely a combination of things. The main problem is the Italian wheel with poor tire and tube contact then add a little low pressure in the tire it it will pull the stem every time. Once in a while it may be runway debris, but usually it's the first problem.

Matco has a wheel with a much better profile and won't flex under low tire pressures. I will send in for a fleet approval and get back to you. It may take several weeks.

post-3-0-03936900-1312754226_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

We are getting way too many front flat tires. It is most likely a combination of things. The main problem is the Italian wheel with poor tire and tube contact then add a little low pressure in the tire it it will pull the stem every time. Once in a while it may be runway debris, but usually it's the first problem.

Matco has a wheel with a much better profile and won't flex under low tire pressures. I will send in for a fleet approval and get back to you. It may take several weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

After getting a few flat tires on landings..........I now carry a full tire already assembled on it's rim, fully inflated. It cuts in more than half the time it takes to change the tire/tube, etc. The only drawback is the price of the rim..........ouch !

• 4 months later...

One can never be too carefull when installing new tubes and tires.MY new Matco's did a great job of a percision bite out of the tube and leaving the rubber inside the tube. The good news is the great fit of the Matco rims allowed the air to slowly seep out so I was able to add air at each fuel stop and make it home.Short life for a new tube, but now I will join the others who carry spare tubes.As well as push the tire down and run my fingers all the way around the tube to make sure it is not pinched.

How many of you carry a spare tire also on X-country ?

I do now. One for the mains and one for the front.

Roger, How about a summary of this problem? I've had a flat on landing too (right main.) I have over 600 hours in Cessnas and never had a flat, so they, apparently, have a well engineered wheel/tire system. What do we really need to fix this problem for CTs,once and for all? New wheels, beefier tires and tubes? What would it take to really fix this problem? Maybe that's what we need to get approval for. Your thoughts?

I had a few flat tires on my LS and SW mainly due to the poor quality tires available in the 400-6 size. The remedy is to put on the tundra kit with the 600-6 tires on the mains and a 6 ply on the nose. Since then I have not had any flats in over 500hrs and there is a much wider variety of tires available including the monster retreads and your using the sizes that are on regular GA.

Hi Ron,

What size tires do you have? The issue on the flats is the poor quality tires and thin 4 plays. The other big cause of flats is low tire pressure. Keep those pressures up. The smallest of stickers (thorns for you non south west types) can easily puncture the tire skins. The tundra tires or 6.00 - 6 tires have a bigger variety of tires and with that much better tread depth and thicker plys. Many or us use the Desser Monster tread 6.00 - 6 6 ply tires with the 4.00 - 6 6 ply front tire. The small tires, 4.00 - 6 main tires can be the 6 ply from Desser, but the front tires are still very limited. Your choice is to put the same thing back on the front, a 4.00 - 4. 4 ply or go to a 10" x 3.50-4.10. 6 ply which has a 1" shorter in height profile. All tires get tubes so try and buy a Michellin Airstop tube.

Thanks Roger. Always nice to learn something new! When my right main went flat I had all three tires replaced. I now have 400-6 6 ply tires and 400-6 heavy duty tubes, so it appears as if I'm somewhat improved from the OEM tires. Can you use the Monster 6.00-6 6 ply tires and still leave the wheel pants on? Maybe next time I'll upgrade to these as well.

On a different point, you once talked about a different wingtip light that was much brighter and possibly had a built-in strobe light as well. I can't find it within the Forum. Can you direct me to where that was posted? Many Thanks!!

I had a few flat tires on my LS and SW mainly due to the poor quality tires available in the 400-6 size. The remedy is to put on the tundra kit with the 600-6 tires on the mains and a 6 ply on the nose. Since then I have not had any flats in over 500hrs and there is a much wider variety of tires available including the monster retreads and your using the sizes that are on regular GA.

Thanks Eric, I was just looking at your airport on Google Earth. At the southern parking ramp I saw a plane with the leading edge of the wing TAPERED towards the wingtips! I don't recognize that at all. Can you tell me what that is?

Archived