New owner 2007 CTSW finally flying her tomorrow!

Buckaroo

My 07 ride was delivered by the prior owner November 19 and she's been hangered since. No available flight instructor for the review, snow drifts, wind, closed airport have delayed things but finally tomorrow at 10:30 I will be able to get my review.

Temps will be 20 degrees or less. She'll be on the Tanis all night in a 50 degree hanger. Per posts on this forum I put one strip of aluminum tape horizontally across the top of the grill.

Question: should I run another vertical piece in the middle? If I can't get 120 degrees for takeoff what should I do? Should I consider carb heat in any way? It's supposed to lightly snow As well.

Thanks

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think one strip of tape will do it.. I went up the other day at about 28 degrees. Used 3 vertical strips 2" wide. Did not even come close to the yellow during a 3000' climb and cruised at about 200 degrees oil temp at 5200 RPM.

Today I went up at 38 degrees. Used 2 vertical strips. Perfect.

I know, the LOA, etc. Just telling you what worked for me.

Check it out staying close to the airport. If its too hot, it will cool off in a hurry by reducing throttle.

Probably won't need carb heat but it will not hurt to use it just as you would in a carb'd C-172.

Have fun.

Now that my airplane is experimental, I'd consider designing an in-flight flap/louver system to control oil temps. But then again, I'm lazy and tape is cheap. :)

I'm going to drill and bolt a toilet paper bracket on the cowl that will hold the aluminum tape roll. Then I'll add a pulley system to regulate the tape feed from the cockpit.

This along with the mechanical cockpit carb balancer I'm designing will be a dandy! ????

I'm going to drill and bolt a toilet paper bracket on the cowl that will hold the aluminum tape roll. Then I'll add a pulley system to regulate the tape feed from the cockpit.

This along with the mechanical cockpit carb balancer I'm designing will be a dandy! ????

Let me introduce you to a friend of mine.

post-623-0-89228100-1485268693_thumb.jpg

Bill.....Perfect!! :clap-3332:

Buckaroo, I would agree with Sandpiper's 3 X 2" pieces of tape applied vertically at the center if temps will be in the low 20's.  Stick around the airport and do a good climb out under full throttle to see if you may need to land and adjust the tape coverage.

Now that my airplane is experimental, I'd consider designing an in-flight flap/louver system to control oil temps.  But then again, I'm lazy and tape is cheap.   :)

Andy - I purchased a shutter device some years ago which I planned to install when/if I go experimental. It's a plate that goes over the cooler and has a cockpit control. One problem I see with it is that when full open, 50% of the cooler is still blocked. Probably ideal for colder temperatures than what we have here by Salem, OR. It's two plates and a push/pull control. As you pull the control one plate slides to cover openings in the other so you can select anything from fully blocked to half blocked.

It's not for sale but if you are interested I will try to find out where I bought it.

Andy - I purchased a shutter device some years ago which I planned to install when/if I go experimental. It's a plate that goes over the cooler and has a cockpit control. One problem I see with it is that when full open, 50% of the cooler is still blocked. Probably ideal for colder temperatures than what we have here by Salem, OR. It's two plates and a push/pull control. As you pull the control one plate slides to cover openings in the other so you can select anything from fully blocked to half blocked.

It's not for sale but if you are interested I will try to find out where I bought it.

Thanks.  I think if I were to do something like this, instead of covering the whole radiator, it would just be something like a single slat covering the top third of the radiator.  That way it would basically mimic what the tape does, but if it were attached to a pull-down slide you could adjust precisely how much airflow to block to get the desired temps.  It might also be a good idea for it to be spring loaded to pop into the open position in the event of a failure of the cockpit control linkage.

But again...I'm lazy.  :)

Yahoo I finally got her in the air and got 1/3 of my review and aircraft check out. My CFI dude tells me two more hours and I'm good to go. By the way my instructor was very impressed at the FD especially the power!

Concerns and observations:

1. Temps at 10 degrees F with one horizontal strip of aluminum tape and one vertical tape temps dropped to 135 in decent from at top of 180 in a climb from 4K to 8k. The oil temp gauge shows 135 in a black not green arc. This made be nervous a bit.

2. EGT temps still green but almost to the yellow. That caught my eye!

3. My instructor new to FD saw before our flight YouTube vids showing lots of stick gyrations on landing just to see me do the same. He was amazed at all that control!

4. My rudder coordination sucked I admit! One takeoff I think I allowed it to crab left almost in a takeoff slip ????

I then woke up and stepped on the right rudder and added left rudder. That was a weird experience as I have lots of hours in other heavier aircraft.

In summary numbers 1 and 2 distracted me a lot detracting my flying concentration. We cut the mission short due to 1 and 2.

Any thoughts are appreciated good or bad.

You are saying that it stayed at 180 degrees in level flight but with reduced power on decent it cooled quickly??

You might want to try a little more tape to move that 180 up to at least 200. Staying close to the airport until you get it right. Remember the water and oil coolers are stacked so pay attention to both temps. I'm sure you do.

As for the 135 on decent that is normal when you come off the power for normal decent. I try to plan for a longer decent with higher power settings to keep the temps a little higher. But, they will come down quickly at those OAT's.. That is normal.

Not really the best OAT for a training flight but you won't hurt anything. I would, however, go a little easier on power reductions and be sure to keep above the magic 122 degrees.

More tape.  Shoot for 200-220°F oil temp in level cruise.  You want the oil hot enough to boil off water condensation.

Your rudder use will improve, the CT is a short-coupled rudder airplane, and you just can't fly one well without getting good with the pedals.  Which you naturally will quickly!

Bill - does the duct tape leave a residue when removed if left too long or due to the heat of the cooler??

Don't know, because I don't use duct tape.

Red Green uses it for anything and everything.

To be clear, that picture of Red is certainly not an endorsement by me. Roger and Tom would kill me.

More tape.  Shoot for 200-220°F oil temp in level cruise.  You want the oil hot enough to boil off water condensation.

Your rudder use will improve, the CT is a short-coupled rudder airplane, and you just can't fly one well without getting good with the pedals.  Which you naturally will quickly!

You won't burn off the water unless you get up to 212f plus...then you can go up to 250f or so without issue on summer day climbs as long as it's brief. 

Rotax wants the oil above 190° at least once during the flight. You have to be careful with adding more tape, because you will wind up with coolant temp getting into the yellow or red.

Ok but what about the CHT green bars damn near maxed to the right? Sorry I can't recall the associated temps but there was little room before the yellow. Was that from the tape?

Also you experts do you aggressively move the stick about when trying to "stick" a landing? My CFI guy said it looks twitchy but noticed a lot of stick gyrations in the YouTube videos.

I'm giving him some free touch and go time a filming his stick movement! ????Mooohaha!

Yes, the tape effects the coolant temp as well. The oil cooler sits right behind the coolant radiator, but it is not as wide. Adding more tape across the top will likely raise your coolant temp to high. You might try 2 or 3 vertical strips in the middle and get better results.

As for moving the stick around, don't do it. :)  I tell all my students that a quiet stick makes for a happy airplane. The more you move the stick side to side the more adverse yaw you will have to deal with, and sometimes it can get real ugly. When doing landings with someone in the CT in mild conditions I will sometimes restrict the movement of the control stick. This often leads to better landings. In calm conditions I will sometimes demonstrate landings where except for the steady slow aft movement of the stick for flare I will not move the stick in more than a 3" circle.

Thanks Tom great stuff! The stick topic first. Today I greased three landings in a 15 degree flap no wind day. These were nose high full stall landings. It felt to me each landing took a lot of finesse but a lot of stick adjustments. I'll bet 1/2 my movements were overreacting and with work I can picture the ferocity of these actions calming down.

The fine rudder tune will come and the fun part will be to get my high time buddies in my ride for a sobering stick and rudder exercise!????

Concerning the EGT today what temp is nearing extreme? I was concerned about tape causing a high oil temp but I think I was borderline high on EGT. I hear that can be real concerning reaching those temps! I'll change my tape positioning.

My plan is to fly in the 30's and up from now on if possible.

Correction the above temps were EGT not CHT! Sorry!

That's good news Tom! Today in minus 10 degree temps at 8000 feet I had 135 degree oil temps and EGT's near the top of the green. I was concerned I'd get a sudden red indicator that would end all the fun! ????

I really had fun today and totally love this jewel! We have two more flights and I'll be signed off the CFI predicts.

Next week when temps are in the 30's we'll work on slips, go arounds and more landings with a couple 2000 agl emergency practice engine out dead stick landings.

The last hour will be short and soft field landings and takeoffs.

My young CFI is a trained helicopter pilot, multi engine, glider pilot and you name it. He approached the CT with a lot of personal study of the POH and other sources. Information I printed from you forum members was given to him for study.

See this forum is valuable and appreciated! Thanks for all your help and patience! See ya in Page this year!

Archived