New E-Prop install

I've been flying this E-Prop on one of our CTLS's for the last month. So far it is performing very well.  Takeoff and climb performance are improved due to the ability to achieve higher static and climb RPM (5400-5600) and cruise speeds remain the same as the prop doesn't overspeed during cruise.  It is well balanced, smooth and light.

20201229_163000.thumb.jpg.d9f65ce75c36cb041263c1a6f4dd240c.jpg

Cost?  Prop diameter?

Also, I'm a little unsure about the statement: "the ability to achieve higher static and climb RPM (5400-5600)".  It's really hard to get apples-to-apples comparisons on that, and a lot goes into it (prop pitch, aircraft deck angle in the climb, etc).  Not saying you are wrong, I'm just wondering how you tested to see the differences.

I will be in the market for a new prop in the next year or so, I would love to see head-to-head comparisons against the Sensenich.

5 hours ago, GrassStripFlyBoy said:

Found the video:

Did you note the full fairings on the mains on that French CTLS?  Pretty slick.  And I like the extra buttons on the stick.  

This prop looks like a winner.  I stumbled on it at Sun n Fun 2018 on two different installations, and the Dealers swore by this prop.  Thank you for pointing out the weight variance Copper... that's a gallon of gas+...; )  Copper, any noise variance?  i.e. louder?   Quieter?  Thank you... 

I have a documented flight test analysis of the e-prop which Flight Design USA used get approval for the prop use. It was done as unbiased as I could do with the test equipment I had available. You are welcome to it if it helps you. The blade design is like nothing I had ever seen before. 

1 minute ago, Jacques said:

don't know about the Sensenich, but I did compared it with a Whirlwind in 2018

RE-read the post   

Thanks Jacques!

The E-props is very tempting, I just need more research to make an informed choice.  It looks like the cost with spinner is about $2200 USD, which puts it a couple hundred cheaper than the Sensenich.  I also like that the e-props in 65" diameter, while the Sensenich is 68".  That extra 1.5" ground clearance is nice for me with all the grass I land on.

I am curious how the E-props manages to get similar thrust to the other Rotax props with a much shorter blade chord.  They seem to be pitched about 24°, which my Neuform is around 23° IIRC.  Maybe the higher angle of attack on the prop makes up the difference, and I assume a short chord means less drag as well.  I'm sure the two airfoils have significant differences.

I have to admit I'm skeptical of the "constant speed effect".  The engineering involved to make the prop blades twist exactly the way you want to seems voodoo-like, like something NASA could do, but not so sure about a small prop company.   I'm also not sure how that flex contributes to longevity or the lack thereof.

29 minutes ago, FlyingMonkey said:

I have to admit I'm skeptical of the "constant speed effect".  The engineering involved to make the prop blades twist exactly the way you want to seems voodoo-like, like something NASA could do, but not so sure about a small prop company.   I'm also not sure how that flex contributes to longevity or the lack thereof.

So am I .. I just quoted their marketing spiel  🙂 - I can't complain about the prop not running well and I know quite a few people who had this prop for 1000+ hours ( including Rich of Sting Flight who had his for something like 2000 hours I think ) so I am pretty happy with it ( do I have a choice ? it came with the plane ...)