New E-Prop install

7 hours ago, CloudCatcher said:

I can’t imagine the engine was mounted improperly. 

Canted does not mean incorrect.  Rubber engine mounts take a set, sag, etc.  Not knowledgeable on Tecnam but I can imagine there is a stack up of components, engine, mount, firewall.  Those tolerances can have prop axis off.

Does the spinner align to the cowl opening concentric, that's typically an indicator on CT's if mounts have sagged.

1 hour ago, GrassStripFlyBoy said:

Canted does not mean incorrect.  Rubber engine mounts take a set, sag, etc.  Not knowledgeable on Tecnam but I can imagine there is a stack up of components, engine, mount, firewall.  Those tolerances can have prop axis off.

Does the spinner align to the cowl opening concentric, that's typically an indicator on CT's if mounts have sagged.

That was my point. What causes the cant angle is irrelevant, it's that it is incorrect if that is the issue.

9 hours ago, GrassStripFlyBoy said:

The rubber engine mounts were actually replaced with new at last annual almost one year ago, so those couldn't have worn to the point of sagging by now. Yes, the gap between the spinner cone and the front of the engine cowling is symmetrical. There's no indication that the engine/prop is at an angle. 

I actually just measured and I've got 13.5mm on the right side of the spinner between spinner and cowling and 12.8mm on the left. So very very close.

6 hours ago, Tom Baker said:

CloudCatcher, a couple questions.

What RPM does the engine turn full throttle level flight?

Just for curiosity sake, which way did you move the trim tab?

Tried increasing the angle of the trim tab to increase the right rudder in order to center the ball. 

RPM WOT varies based on altitude. But about 5,450rpm down low or 5,300rpm up high.

Hi CloudCatcher,

I'd flatten the pitch on the prop about .25 degrees more. This rpm check should be done at your average altitude. Setting it for something like 4K feet is good when you always fly ay 9K ft.

On the trim issue  you can give me a call. You may have something else to adjust or set straight vs the rudder. There are easier ways to take care of this and make sure you adjust the right thing and aren't actually cross controlling.

On 2/8/2024 at 9:48 AM, Roger Lee said:

Hi CloudCatcher,

I'd flatten the pitch on the prop about .25 degrees more. This rpm check should be done at your average altitude. Setting it for something like 4K feet is good when you always fly ay 9K ft.

On the trim issue  you can give me a call. You may have something else to adjust or set straight vs the rudder. There are easier ways to take care of this and make sure you adjust the right thing and aren't actually cross controlling.

Thanks, Roger. I tend to fly on the higher side (if the winds aloft are favorable) and between 8.5 and 13.5. I've attaching 3 panel photos below, each taken 5 minutes apart, with no throttle position change. 

The first one you'll see I'm cruising along at 5,350rpm and 120 TAS. 5 minutes later it's down to 5,170rpm and 104 TAS. 5 minutes after that it's up to 5,330rpm and 119 TAS. It seems to oscillate back and forth like this with no power change and I'm not sure why. In the second photo, it's pitched up about 3 degrees, which should explain the 180rpm drop since it's not a constant speed prop. But note the VSI reads zero so no altitude gain happening. Any idea why? The AP was in full control this whole time.

It's a 912iS and 5,350rpm is where it enters eco mode up high. That's a good cruise rpm, isn't it? Or would you still recommend flattening the pitch on the E-Props? 

1.png

2.png

3.png