New E-Prop install

15 hours ago, 207WF said:

I think the "constant speed" effect is not the blades flexing (they are much stiffer than the Neuform) but rather the washout in the blades near the hub.  I think that during climb the center portion of the prop is stalled, and less of it is stalled in cruise.

I agree, they didn't go into details but this is how the factory described it to me.  I think it's a variable rate twist & thickness on the blade that changes along the length so that depending on RPM different parts of the blade become more or less efficient.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got my CTSW back from annual new engine, new e-prop.  I think I need to take 100rpm off the top end by adding some pitch.  I think the e-prop instructions lists the angle change per 100rpm. Now, I get 5630rpm at WOT,which gives me 129kts at 2500 feet.  At 5500rpm, it is 122 kts, which is slower than the Neuform.  I hope the pitch change at the first oil change will make the difference.  It certainly climbs better!

For the Rotax 912 engines, E-PROPS says 0.6° change is 100 rpm.  1° is 167 rpm.  

I've been tweaking my 2007 CTSW with E-PROPS.  Lately, I have it set to be 5500 rpm WOT level flight (auto pilot) 3,000' MSL quiet air.  Speed is around 113-114 KIAS.  Before, I had pitch set so RPM WOT same conditions was over 5600 rpm.  My speed then was often in the yellow, like 120-123 KIAS.

I'm going to take some pitch out and see what happens to speed at 5500 when I get WOT 5600.

I have a Rans S-7S with new E-PROPS and am trying to get it set optimally.  On that plane, I will set it a touch fast, like 5550.  Still tweaking it.

On 10/30/2022 at 12:13 AM, GlennM said:

I finally got my CTSW back from annual new engine, new e-prop.  I think I need to take 100rpm off the top end by adding some pitch.  I think the e-prop instructions lists the angle change per 100rpm. Now, I get 5630rpm at WOT,which gives me 129kts at 2500 feet.  At 5500rpm, it is 122 kts, which is slower than the Neuform.  I hope the pitch change at the first oil change will make the difference.  It certainly climbs better!

I would re-pitch to the factory-recommended 5500rpm @ WOT and see what you get. 

My CTSW went from 127kt TAS @ 5500ft to 131kt TAS @ 5500ft with the E-Props.  I also noticed that my speeds are higher at partial throttle...I now get about 100kt indicated at 4600rpm at -6° flaps!  And the climb is definitely better.

• 3 weeks later...

On a recent 22 hour trip I learned that if I climb at flaps 0 and 80 knots the eprop climbs me at greater than 650'/" to 8000 (at slightly above standard temps).  Climb to 6,000 is 800 '/" or better.  This bird now climbs like a homesick angel!

I am set to get 5500 WOT at 9500', and about 5600 WOT at lower altitudes.

Also, the fuel burn was 0.2 ghp less at my usual cruise settings.

WF 

Ain’t they great!  Love mine.
Wife wanted to fly today, a rare event. Flew over the mountains from Hendersonville NC (0A7) to Greenville Tennessee (KGCY) and back. Climbing to 7500 feet at close to GW, no problem. 120 knots TAS at 2350 rpm.
Beautiful day to fly. 
Coming off the mountains to the flat Tennessee valley is a sight to behold. 

On 11/20/2022 at 8:26 PM, 207WF said:

On a recent 22 hour trip I learned that if I climb at flaps 0 and 80 knots the eprop climbs me at greater than 650'/" to 8000 (at slightly above standard temps).  Climb to 6,000 is 800 '/" or better.  This bird now climbs like a homesick angel!

I am set to get 5500 WOT at 9500', and about 5600 WOT at lower altitudes.

Also, the fuel burn was 0.2 ghp less at my usual cruise settings.

WF 

Hmm...if I understand aerodynamics properly, you should get the best climb at the lowest drag, which would be the -6° setting.  The speed will be a little higher, but it should be more efficient for extended climbs.  I'm happy to be corrected if I'm missing something. 

I find my best climb to be -6° and 78-82 knots.  For sure using some flaps can help to get best angle of climb (Vx) to clear obstacles or approaching terrain.  My usual profile is: 15° flaps until 500ft AGL or so...then go to 0°...once above 70kts then -6°.

I have not seen less fuel burn for the same RPM, but there is definitely less fuel burned for the same speed, since you can run a lower RPM to get the same speed as the Neuform would produce.  So same fuel at higher speed or less fuel at same speed. 

2 hours ago, FlyingMonkey said:

Hmm...if I understand aerodynamics properly, you should get the best climb at the lowest drag, which would be the -6° setting.  The speed will be a little higher, but it should be more efficient for extended climbs.  I'm happy to be corrected if I'm missing something. 

I find my best climb to be -6° and 78-82 knots.  For sure using some flaps can help to get best angle of climb (Vx) to clear obstacles or approaching terrain.  My usual profile is: 15° flaps until 500ft AGL or so...then go to 0°...once above 70kts then -6°.

I have not seen less fuel burn for the same RPM, but there is definitely less fuel burned for the same speed, since you can run a lower RPM to get the same speed as the Neuform would produce.  So same fuel at higher speed or less fuel at same speed. 

We do get our best climb rate with reflex flaps and best angle with max flaps.

1 hour ago, Anticept said:

Don't know about the SWs, but best rate of climb for the LSs is 0 degrees. it's in the flight manuals.

-6 is lower drag but if you have to increase AoA by pitching up more for the loss of lift, then you're not coming out ahead.

The POH shows zero degrees for best climb and best glide but its wrong on both.

Capture.JPG

16 hours ago, Eddie Cesnalis said:

The POH shows zero degrees for best climb and best glide but its wrong on both.

Capture.JPG

After testing for best glide I use 78-80kt @ -6° and that appears to work best for my airplane.  I would think best glide and best climb would be similar, though a find a little faster than 80kt in the climb seems to do better.

I have a feeling FD used a 15° flap setting for best glide in the POH to minimize configuration changes in an emergency and KISS.

Technically, weight has no effect on best glide distance, it only affects glide speed.

Regarding best climb: i checked the 2012 edition of the flight design poh. in that one, -6 and 0 appear to match. prior to 2012 editions, testing amounted to using a GPS and whatever read out on the instrumentation. for the 2012 models and later, testing methods were revised and many speeds were quoted a few knots too fast in older models. This is per Dave Armando. Anecdotally seems to be supported by my testing with my aircraft, 0 ends up being a tiny bit better. Haven't honestly checked that hard.

• 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I installed a 3-bladed E-Props on my Tecnam and it has caused me to cruise uncoordinated and in a slip now. I'm getting notably better climb and cruise performance overall from the 3-bladed Sensenich prop I switched from, and the lower vibration on startup/shutdown is nice. But I went from flying coordinated to now half a ball out and right wing low in cruise. Increasing the bend of my rudder trim offset tab didn't help. Not sure what to do at this point and considering I may have to remove the E-Props. I guess it might not work for every airplane and could screw up the aerodynamics due to the increased thrust it makes and increased spiraling slipstream.

40 minutes ago, CloudCatcher said:

I installed a 3-bladed E-Props on my Tecnam and it has caused me to cruise uncoordinated and in a slip now. I'm getting notably better climb and cruise performance overall from the 3-bladed Sensenich prop I switched from, and the lower vibration on startup/shutdown is nice. But I went from flying coordinated to now half a ball out and right wing low in cruise. Increasing the bend of my rudder trim offset tab didn't help. Not sure what to do at this point and considering I may have to remove the E-Props. I guess it might not work for every airplane and could screw up the aerodynamics due to the increased thrust it makes and increased spiraling slipstream.

I did a switch on a CT from a Sensenich to a E-Prop, and the only thing I experienced was better performance and smoother operation. I expect you will find the issue to be something besides the propeller.

30 minutes ago, Tom Baker said:

I did a switch on a CT from a Sensenich to a E-Prop, and the only thing I experienced was better performance and smoother operation. I expect you will find the issue to be something besides the propeller.

Like what? Before the E-Props propeller, I was flying coordinated. After, I was flying in a slip. See attached. Top is before, bottom is after. 

IMG_2629.jpeg

I don't see how a prop can cause an aerodynamic change. However if the engine is canted significantly or not enough maybe the more efficient thrust  of the prop could cause the yaw. There is an answer but it will take some time and work to evaluate it.

1 hour ago, Madhatter said:

I don't see how a prop can cause an aerodynamic change. However if the engine is canted significantly or not enough maybe the more efficient thrust  of the prop could cause the yaw. There is an answer but it will take some time and work to evaluate it.

The plane is factory built so I can’t imagine the engine was mounted improperly.