Rocket and chute costs

procharger

7 minutes ago, Anticept said:

If you're E-LSA you can always just ignore that interval or remove the system completely.

I live in a place where it's corn everywhere, flat fields upon flat fields, so honestly these things don't do me much good.

So people used to say about seat belts … I never get in accidents , these things don’t do me much good …

3 hours ago, Anticept said:

If you're E-LSA you can always just ignore that interval or remove the system completely.

I live in a place where it's corn everywhere, flat fields upon flat fields, so honestly these things don't do me much good.

Trust me, highly thinking about it... I fly in the Mississippi Delta.  Nothing but flat fields and wide open highways.  Oh, and an airport (or crop duster strip) about every 10 miles...

3 hours ago, Anticept said:

I fully support car seat belts because in half a second you might need em even through no fault of your own. Can't do anything about that.

It is exactly the same with flying … empty fields ( which I have plenty of here in IL ) cover only one type of failure - engine out.

"If you're E-LSA you can always just ignore that interval or remove the system completely."

Not if the DAR that took it to ELSA wrote in the operating limitations that you must comply with all MFG's parts replacement times and also added that any aircraft alteration be approved by a FSDO. Those two sentences are in many operating limitation documents and from what I have heard they may be making it mandatory  to have those DAR's add that.

Some that went to ELSA didn't have those sentences added, but others did. If I had gone to ELSA I would pull my documents out and read every sentence.

…..or at least coordinate the verbiage beforehand. If it’s negotiable?

Anybody know of any reversals/ELSA back to SLSA? Maybe MFGs worked that verbiage in for that reason, to limit ELSA just to allow LSR-I’s to perform ACI?

Just looking for some logic here…..oK pile on fellas 🤔

" stating it's a way to escape manufacturer imposed requirements and is even an alternative to complying with safety directives."

Exactly, and that leads to aircraft incidents and owners doing things they have no business doing due to lack of real researched data.

That may be why I heard through the grapevine they are looking at making those two sentences mandatory. Owners drive the regulations just like our laws. A few ruin it for the masses.

Plus when you do alterations that caused an incident you are far more liable for changing things. You'll have less protections in court and liable suits. The lawyers will ask you where you got your fact based information that what you did was safe compared to the other thousands that don't do it that way.

9 hours ago, Roger Lee said:

" stating it's a way to escape manufacturer imposed requirements and is even an alternative to complying with safety directives."

Exactly, and that leads to aircraft incidents and owners doing things they have no business doing due to lack of real researched data.

That may be why I heard through the grapevine they are looking at making those two sentences mandatory. Owners drive the regulations just like our laws. A few ruin it for the masses.

Plus when you do alterations that caused an incident you are far more liable for changing things. You'll have less protections in court and liable suits. The lawyers will ask you where you got your fact based information that what you did was safe compared to the other thousands that don't do it that way.

On the flip side there is NO ONE ELSE that you can go to for alternate means of compliance. So if you get a manufacturer that's overstepping, it's very difficult to fight it because you have to find someone who cares enough in the FAA to convince said safety directive / requirements aren't to ASTM spec.

I would not mind so much if I had multiple avenues to take like in standard airworthiness aircraft.

19 hours ago, FlyingMonkey said:

My aux pump is gravity!   :D

Wonder what the operating limits are with just gravity fed fuel flow? Maybe it should read, “to ensure uninterrupted flight and passenger comfort, aim the plane downhill at 45 degree’s or greater, like a WW2 German JU87, Stuka, whilst screaming out the window in a high pitched shrill, making Stuka noises, to ensure a safe arrival”! 💫