Flaps Malfunction

Bill3558

You could attach a cable and run it to the panel and make a plate that shows all the settings

I have done this with boats for power trim you know exactly how far to go before  blowing

boat over upside down. Simple set up. If using momentary switch, What ya'll think? If the

readout is working would it still work with a switch? Mine flaps keep failing intermittently

works on ground every time most of the time flying but sometimes when landing it will

not work every time. I have removed flap board and had a electronics guy look to see if

any joints had any cracks he could not find any problerms. I can fly 2 days they work perfect

no problems when taking off just quits sometimes landing,

boat over,

46 minutes ago, procharger said:

You could attach a cable and run it to the panel and make a plate that shows all the settings

that's what I'm thinking too... but not a cable...a rigid wire     a la Tecnam,  

2 hours ago, GrassStripFlyBoy said:

Would not be difficult to construct a mechanical indicator directly off the hinge, using marked reference points:

I did just that with a piece of masking tape and a sharpie a couple of years ago when my flaps would only work manually.  Worked fine.  I left it there when I fixed the flap controller.

5 hours ago, GrassStripFlyBoy said:

Would not be difficult to construct a mechanical indicator directly off the hinge, using marked reference points:

image.png.e85ea7f90704f5638bcfda1a82d68b45.png

This is how I had discussed doing it with flight design.

Dave Armando did that with one of them a long time ago.

Why does that wing look kinked it's messing with me.

Thanks, and when that fails, you dont have the option from FD to just purchase the motor and housing,  you have to buy the entire unit?  That really stinks.  What if we had the housing modeled in software and source these motors?  Anyone have a shot unit they would be willing to send me for 3d rendering and modeling?

FD just relabels them, and the manufacturer doesn't sell just the motor.

The motor isn't anything particularly special, but you would have to field press a gear onto the shaft. Part of the gearbox housing is attached to the motor with a gear. It's not a simple operation because the shaft is maybe 1-1.5mm? Really fragile. You'll have to build a jig for it to wrap around and press the back the motor shaft during the pressing operation to avoid damaging any bearings.

Thanks Anticept,

Appreciate the insight on that.  Sounds like a real challenge, they are still 800$ for a new one from FD.

Is there a way to grease the actuator shaft without removing it from the CT? 

What grease can someone recommend.  The maintenance manual lists out a couple greases in the flaps section but no mention of servicing the internal actuatorimage.png.5623f493e9b21e5af3bbc863006896ee.png

Vic, go to this thread on CT flier.  Some info on lubrication.  Some people try, but the leadscrew cannot be lubricated without disassembly.  Look at the photos on the two pages in the thread], worth. thousand words.  A grease recommendation was made at the end of the thread.