fibreglass breaks down

floats

some serious hammering got the the pin out, I still have to remove one of the bearings that came out as the clip was removed.Seems pretty tigth. Spring flew of yesterday. One side is attached but the other side seems to press on the wall without attachment. They are two possible location with small holes. Now my setup is different from the manual  no A and B to adjust.  It looks like a cover that can be removed and I guess there would be some lead inside.

post-159-0-33382500-1427469074_thumb.jpg

post-159-0-13218400-1427469099_thumb.jpg

post-159-0-11733600-1427469239_thumb.jpg

post-159-0-58282000-1427469258_thumb.png

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Floats,

Since you fly on water or even around a lot of humidity I would spray all my exposed metal parts with Boeing T-9. This product was made for Boeing just for that purpose. We used it on my dive compressors to fight salt corrosion. Works like a charm if you apply it once in a while and only takes a few minutes to spray all your parts.

some serious hammering got the the pin out, I still have to remove one of the bearings that came out as the clip was removed.Seems pretty tigth. Spring flew of yesterday. One side is attached but the other side seems to press on the wall without attachment. They are two possible location with small holes. Now my setup is different from the manual  no A and B to adjust.  It looks like a cover that can be removed and I guess there would be some lead inside.

The spring goes in the lower hole in the fuselage.  The MM is adamant that the upper hole is NOT supposed to be used.

Hi Floats,

Since you fly on water or even around a lot of humidity I would spray all my exposed metal parts with Boeing T-9. This product was made for Boeing just for that purpose. We used it on my dive compressors to fight salt corrosion. Works like a charm if you apply it once in a while and only takes a few minutes to spray all your parts.

Will T-9 harm any of the composites?  If not I might spray everything in my tail area while I have it all taken apart.

Will T-9 harm any of the composites?  If not I might spray everything in my tail area while I have it all taken apart.

I use T-9 frequently and liberally on metal parts that are exposed to the weather, at least every 3 Mo. Has never harmed any composites if I over spray.

Cheers

I use T-9 frequently and liberally on metal parts that are exposed to the weather, at least every 3 Mo. Has never harmed any composites if I over spray.

Cheers

Thanks!  I'll spray the parts that are out of the airplane, then put some paper towels in the tail to catch overspray and spray the parts still in the plane.

Boeing T9 is a good product for metal if you live around any humidity or water.

Been using it for over 20 years down here in Tampa area.  Great product for boats and airplane.  Really protects against corrosion.

Hi Floats,

Good advice  Thanis

My counter weight looks the same as the picture in the MM.  It has a plug (allen head bolt) for the hole.  This can be removed to add/delete weight for balancing the stab.  You don't seem to have this on your counter weight.  Need to call FD and talk to Arian if you have questions.

Dick, I believe there are two versions of the counterweight chamber on the end of the stabilator pivot assembly.  One has the allen head screw plug and one has a panel held in place with six or eight small screws.  I have not compared them next to each other, but I suspect that they are otherwise identical.  

Just a side note.

You could use 1/4 oz. tire stick on weights if need be. You can trim them or add what ever is necessary. These work well. Make sure you clean the surface they are going to stick on 3 times with lacquer thinner.

What is tire sticks ?  I suppose that I have to remove the cover of the counterweight and put some lead in it as my model is different from the maintenance manual

post-159-0-70826700-1427574556_thumb.jpg

These stick on tire weights are just that. You stick them on the tire metal wheel to balance the tire.

Like these: (this website for reference only)

http://www.toolsbyotto.com/product/stick-on-wheel-weights-1-4-ounce/83

You can get them  locally from any tire shop or from most automotive supply houses. I use these all the time balancing our aircraft tires. When done right I have never had one come off. It will work just fine on your stab counter weight.

No. There are two basic types. The most common for auto tires are the clip on weights that fit over the edge of the wheel rim. The second used for odd applications or odd wheels are these stick on weights.

Side note:

Average amount of weight for our aircraft tires is 1-2 ounces. Once in a great while a little less or a little more. I hate more. This is quick and easy to do on each tire and they are all out of balance. Once in a great while you can balance a tire because of the tube or tire so far out. I have had two tires take up to 20 1/4 oz. weights. One was the tube and one the tire. I sent both back for replacements. I have not had one of our wheels (without a tire) out of balance.

Floats, here's a picture of a 1/4 oz. aluminum wheel weight I used to balance my Matco front wheel.  This is what Roger is referring to.  Personally, I would remove the cover and add some weight inside.  Clearances may be tight at the rear of the fuselage and I'm thinking external weights may interfere with the surrounding fuselage during movement of the counter weight if these are installed on the wrong areas.  Guess to be totally anal, I would also insure the weight doesn't shift inside by epoxying the weight in place.  The MM says this should be done.  When the mechanic balanced my counter weight, we used lead shot from shotgun shells.

post-24-0-15393700-1427630406_thumb.jpg

Archived