Cross Country Solo Landings

EminiTrader

I would remove the adjective 'heavily' from your statement and call it true.

When we side-slip an approach we use lift to counter the drift.

When we want to loose altitude but remain on the extended runway center line we slip but banked to counter forward progress so that we do not drift and this results with us not being aligned until we remove the slip. This is your proof, if banking didn't cause drift we wouldn't need a forward slip we could always do side slips.

Once you are convinced that banking can't exist without drift and that alignment cannot exist without the drift vectored across the runway then you know side loading exists.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Somewhat related...I am reading an account of WWI flying and the side slip was used as a deception technique to make the enemy think you were flying in a different direction than you actually were causing them to miss. Remember that next time anyone is trying to shoot your CT down from behind. :)

The reason I asked is that the view is different in a Skycatcher and the advice to put the line between your pedals is probably not applicable.

Nope, still applicable.

In other words you'll never be off the centerline more than the distance from the pedals to the centerline of the airplane - never very far.

Of course in a tandem airplane it works perfectly!

I learned on a Skycatcher and the cowling gives you a different sight picture than a CT. The pedals may work as a reference, but I was never taught that, it is much easier to find the center line with reference to the cowling and prop on the Skycatcher. Using the pedals as reference is almost essential in my CTLS.

Hope Emini isn't considering buying a Cessna 162 Skycatcher. They are dying. Just 19 sold in 2012, and 3 so far in 2013. http://goo.gl/pCPUQp

No. He's not. He's only learning in one.

However, I was talking to a loan broker yesterday and he said banks won't finance anything but Cessna for LSA.. Anyone have a good loan broker? I am building a new house, so I cant take money out of that... kinda need a little financing to get my CT

Archived