parachute re-pack and BRS time limits

Belt13

If all CT aircraft have to go ELSA, insurance will become an issue. If parts are unavailable then even a small accident might be cause for the insurance company to total the aircraft. I anticipate the day soon I will only be able to get liability insurance. At least with my modified cub there is nothing that I can't fix or replace. 

Hopefully FD will survive but I'm not optimistic at this time. Just remember their Asian market is out of Taiwan, not a comfortable place to be at this time. Maybe relocating somewhere else might be worth looking at. 

Someone has to take responsibility for the airworthiness of a design for S-LSA. The responsibility can fall to an association, but in order for that to happen, they also have to have the rights to the design.

The FAA stated this in the NPRM if I recall when light sport was originally proposed. It doesn't matter the entity, they just have to be capable of being responsible for ongoing airworthiness.

I remember Tom Peghiny telling me over the phone that there's enough interest in flight design that if the bankruptcy ended them (the original Flight Design GmbH, not the current one), he among several others would be going that route to bid on the design rights and keep it going.

Wonder the impact on operating limitations. I’m sure a whole thread to itself….I hear they aren’t as DAR negotiable as early on….wonder if FAA has profiled them per different MFG/Model and just dictates a set list of limitations to the applicant?

sorry for thread creep. I’ll stop here.

I found ELSA the best thing I did on my CT for making changes. The bad side of ELSA is that it allows the owners to do a lot of their own maintenance,  but their are a lot of people that should never touch a wrench or screwdriver.