Taxi/ Landing Light

tevbax

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/4/2022 at 12:22 PM, Tom Baker said:

If you already have a LED, try this number. "SORAA 08738" The drop in LED replacement is not very bright. To get a bright LED landing light will require a composite modification to the cowling.

Tom why do you say if you already have an LED landing light? Can you not swap a halogen or an LED?

1 hour ago, Animosity2k said:

Tom why do you say if you already have an LED landing light? Can you not swap a halogen or an LED?

Switching form an early model SORAA bulb to a newer model is not an issue, just swap them out. If you still have the halogen bulb, then the switch requires a MRA.

The small MR16 bulbs all started as halogen bulbs. The larger PAR36 bulbs the electronic landing light with built in strobe, were LED from the get go.

Your airplane probably has the PAR36 bulb, and could be replaced with any LED par 36 bulb as a direct replacement.

14 hours ago, Tom Baker said:

Switching form an early model SORAA bulb to a newer model is not an issue, just swap them out. If you still have the halogen bulb, then the switch requires a MRA.

The small MR16 bulbs all started as halogen bulbs. The larger PAR36 bulbs the electronic landing light with built in strobe, were LED from the get go.

Your airplane probably has the PAR36 bulb, and could be replaced with any LED par 36 bulb as a direct replacement.

I'll open the cowling tomorrow and look. It's a 2014 CTLSi , not sure if they offered different light options. If it's a Halogen can I go with the brightest PAR36 I can find on the market? I went flying the other night and it's dismal at best. 

8 minutes ago, Animosity2k said:

I'll open the cowling tomorrow and look. It's a 2014 CTLSi , not sure if they offered different light options. If it's a Halogen can I go with the brightest PAR36 I can find on the market? I went flying the other night and it's dismal at best. 

I am pretty sure that by 2014 they had switched to LED Par 36 bulb. Please verify before ordering a new bulb. LED technology has improved since then, so I suspect you will be able to find something brighter.

2 minutes ago, Tom Baker said:

I am pretty sure that by 2014 they had switched to LED Par 36 bulb. Please verify before ordering a new bulb. LED technology has improved since then, so I suspect you will be able to find something brighter.

Without removing the cowling I should easily just be able to take a look at the bulb and determine if it's halogen vs LED correct? If LED were all the sizes the same? 

2 hours ago, Animosity2k said:

Without removing the cowling I should easily just be able to take a look at the bulb and determine if it's halogen vs LED correct? If LED were all the sizes the same? 

Yes, you should be able to tell the difference. Take a picture and post it, they occasionally used some oddball stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/15/2022 at 12:00 PM, Tom Baker said:

Yes, you should be able to tell the difference. Take a picture and post it, they occasionally used some oddball stuff.

Here’s the photo of my LED light. Did t remove the cowling g so couldn’t see anything as to a part number or how many watts / lumen. I’ve owned the plane now four years so I’m sure the newer lights have to be better by now?

Side note, "PAR" refers to a specific type of light, so if you run into dome lights, they're probably a PAR light.

There's a table in this link that tells you the dimensions of each type of PAR light. PAR36 is 4.5 inch/115 mm.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parabolic_aluminized_reflector

Also, what Tom linked is a spot type PAR landing light, 10 degrees. They also sell taxi lights, which are wider angle. Stick to spot.

Whelens are EXTREMELY good lights. Very, very bright and reliable.

13 hours ago, Tom Baker said:

You could call Whelen and ask how much brighter the new light would be compared to your 2014 vintage unit.

The unit I have in my 14 CSTLi , is that what shipped w/ the plane from the Factory or do you think that was added? Will I need the PN to have Whalen give me accurate info or just around the year?

Here is the answer from Whalen!

It looks like you have the Parmetheus Plus landing light currently installed in your CTLS which outputs 60,000 candela. The Parmetheus G3 PAR 36 outputs 138,000 candela, therefore it is nearly 2.5 times brighter than your existing light. I have provided a link to the G3 below which is on sale.